Goa Power Minister Pandurang Madkaikar‘s condition is extremely critical. He has not come out of coma for the last 5 days (as of writing this article) and is unconscious, since he suffered a massive brain stroke at an Andheri hotel (in suburban Mumbai) and was admitted by the hotel authorities to the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital.
Medical sources at the hospital say that as Madkaikar was alone in his hotel room when he suffered the massive brain stroke, there was a significant time lag in bringing him to the hospital. The hotel authorities opened the hotel room door after almost an hour and it took them another 30 minutes or more approximately to reach him to the hospital. The almost 2-hour delay was very crucial and could have made a big difference. We are doing our best to revive him, said a doctor. However, there was no official medical bulletin from the hospital and hospital authorities refused to allow this reporter to visit Madkaikar in the ICCU. His family members too were unavailable for comment.
He had suffered a brain stroke on Monday – and not a heart attack or cardiac arrest as was incorrectly reported earlier – in Mumbai following which he was admitted to a private hospital in the metropolis where he underwent an operation, Goa Health Minister Vishwajit Rane had said on Tuesday.
Madkaikar underwent a surgery on Tuesday in Mumbai’s Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital after he suffered a brain stroke to remove minor blood clots in the brain, sources said. Madkaikar would be kept under observation for the next 72 hours, hospital authorities had said. Madkaikar was admitted to the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, in suburban Mumbai, according to Rane, who spoke to media persons on Tuesday, after air-dashing to Mumbai.
According to a report in Herald on Friday, the condition of Pandurang Madkaikar continued to remain the same on Thursday and he is still in coma. Sources said he is in a critical condition in the ICU at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai. Madkaikar has been hospitalized after suffering a brain stroke on Monday. Health Minister Vishwajit Rane who rushed to Mumbai on Tuesday after hearing the news returned to Goa on Thursday. There is still no formal or official medical bulletin issued by the hospital, Herald said.
“Madkaikar has suffered a brain stroke. I am going to see him accompanied by the Medical Superintendent of the Goa Medical College so he can co-ordinate. His surgery was conducted on Tuesday morning,” Rane told IANS.
Senior medical professionals attending to him at the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital told IndiaScoops.com that Madkaikar will have to be on observation for 72-96 hours. He may lose his memory or part of it, the possibility exists. We cannot say anything at the moment. We cannot confirm anything. We have to carry out several tests. But in case of a brain stroke with blood clots in the brain, a patient normally runs the risk of losing part of his memory, a senior doctor who spoke to IndiaScoops.com said. “We are not saying it will definitely happen, but the risk remains. It depends on for how much time, supply of oxygenated blood was cut off and to which parts of the brain. I cannot comment on any particular case, but this is normally what happens,” he added.
We tried to contact family members of Madkaikar or Power Ministry officials or his OSD, but none were available for comment.
Madkaikar had been in the firing line over the last few weeks over massive power cuts across the coastal state.
On Sunday, Bharatiya Janata Party and Congress leaders had complained that several areas in North Goa had suffered blackouts for hours after the power department shut off electricity to relocate high tension transmission lines from near a real estate plot to favour a builder.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar spoke to Madkaikar late Monday, asking the minister to ensure that power failures should be curtailed to less than one hour.
According to The NavHind Times, Madkaikar on Monday said that load shedding and maintenance work, which the electricity department had undertaken on Sunday and Monday, would avert power interruptions in Tiswadi taluka during the monsoon.
Admitting to the negligence on the part of his department officials, he apologised to the people of the taluka for power outages and the shutdown that lasted for over 20 hours.
“I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience that was caused to the people. I assure that this won’t happen again as the maintenance work has perfectly been executed…. it will now avert all major power interruptions in Tiswadi,” Madkaikar said while speaking to The Navhind Times over the phone.
Madkaikar said that this work was outsourced to a Bangalore-based company, which found it difficult to complete the work within the limited time.
The two executive engineers of the department, who had been given responsibility to monitor the work, did nothing to arrange for alternate connectivity in case of delay in restoring power supply, he said.
“It is due to the negligence of the two EEs that we couldn’t prepare and execute the Plan B to fetch power from other substations and supply the same to the affected areas,” he said adding that the two EEs are new in the field and had no prior experience of the situation.
He said that an attempt had been made by the department to draw power from Porvorim and Ponda substations on rotation basis for Tiswadi. However, it was not 100 per cent successful.
“Around 80-odd workers were put on the job who worked till 5 am. They risked their lives and restored the power supply. I feel people should acknowledge their work and appreciate it,” he said.
Responding to the allegations that the work had been undertaken to facilitate two big housing projects, Madkaikar said, “We know what are we doing, and for whom. We cannot help any builders at the cost of government and the public. The people, who are alleging that the work had been undertaken to help the builders, are frustrated… I can understand their frustration as they had to suffer.”
The electricity department supervised the realignment work carried out by the builder’s contractor. The delay was caused when one of the two specialised crimping machines for conductors, brought in by the builder’s contractor to realign the 1.7-km high tension power line, failed on Sunday morning. “The two crimping machines were specially brought to Goa by the contractors (builder’s) to carry out the work. When one gave way, the contractor had to rely on only one crimping machine and this delayed the entire operation. When it turned dark, workers couldn’t work with the same efficiency as they did during the day,” a source said.
The situation worsened when the alternate power arrangements made by the department to supply power from the Porvorim substation also failed along with its feeders.
Consumers vented their ire, even calling up power minister Pandurang Madkaikar in the wee hours of Monday morning looking for answers, but to no avail.
Earlier in the morning, Rane said Madkaikar had suffered a heart attack, but later confirmed that the minister suffered a brain stroke for which he was operated upon.
Madkaikar, 53, was in Mumbai yesterday for a visit when he fell ill.
“He had a brain stroke and was successfully operated,” Rane told reporters in Panaji earlier today.
Madkaikar is the BJP legislator from Cumbharjua constituency in North Goa district.